Monday, July 29, 2013

week six nonsense

HELLO! It is week six and I had my day off today finally. I traveled this weekend to Bangor to drop off and pickup new campers which was exhausting as usual. But we always get Indian food for lunch and Domino's for dinner...so that was amazing. Another plus is that I get to sleep in a nice hotel bed and shower in a nice bathroom! So that went pretty smoothly....no vans broke down. No children were harmed.

What have I done since I last posted.....OH Mike left...so sad. We are now without our fearless leader. And where will we get our banjo playing knee slapping dish cleaning music now? MIKEEE!!!!

I went to Pettes Cove three separate times last week. THREE! So much sea glass, so many cool rocks. I am really glad I don't have to fly home because all my bags would be overweight. We also went to do a salt marsh lesson for the first time this summer! It was really fun mucking around and finding plants that live there and demonstrating how it acts as a filter for fresh and salt water. I worked a lot in salt marshes last summer with the North and South Rivers Watershed Association so it was good to be back. Got to sample some sea pickle, which is a succulent found in the marsh. Never have I ever eaten so many plants straight out of the ground or the ocean before...and its awesome.



Sea Pickle

Plant species for the kids to identify


Today was my day off...and I haven't had one in almost two weeks, so it was much needed. I slept in, then went for a run and showered and started the ol' job hunt. Luckily I got interrupted by our lovely cook Sandra who needed my help in the kitchen for lunches, so I cut up some celery and made some PB and J sandwiches...very skilled cooking going on. Afterwards I spent about two hours applying to jobs and whatnot...actually found some cool research assistant positions around the DC area and hoping to get something interesting for the fall! Yay!

Around 3 we went to get tea and scones in Harrington Cove and it was lovely as usual. Then I took a long nap and then had a staff meeting. So eventful.

Tomorrow I am teaching forestry, bog and marine mammal behavior. Should be pretty easy. Excited for a whale watch on Wednesday!! I haven't been out on the whale boats since week 4 so I am itching to see some cetacean action.

Four more weeks here--so crazy. So many places left to go! So many things to see!
P.s. the Red Phalaropes are here...which means the RIGHT WHALES are coming. There are only about 450 North Atlantic Right Whales alive in the world....to see one would be amazing. They were hunted to near extinction but are now slowly coming back thanks to banning commercial whaling and shipping lane shifts.  Crossing my fingers I get to see some....

No comments:

Post a Comment