Sunday, August 11, 2013

TWO WEEKS LEFT??

It is the beginning of week 8...the second to last week! Craziness. I spent the past weekend here at camp while the other 4 ESI's went on travel day. Lets see where I last left off...

Week 7 was somewhat of a wash because I didn't spend a lot of time on program.
MONDAY I had the most amazing whale watch on Whales n' Sails...it was pouring rain on our way in and out of the harbor, but once we got out there we had a great time. First of all...we saw a MOLA MOLA aka an ocean sunfish...the largest bony fish. It's basically a pancake that sits on top of the water with fins on the top and bottom of its body. First one they saw all season on the boat! And I spotted it!! Two points for Adrienne the marine biologist in training!  Also because it was rainy there were rainbows everywhere and I saw a humpback breach AT THE END OF A RAINBOW. Literally. It was out of a movie. And on our way back we were in a pod of finbacks with about five on either side of the boat. We didn't even know which way to look. After a rainy way back there was a gorgeous sunset in North Head harbor.
Grand Manan, you are beautiful.

Tuesday was my day off and I went in the ocean for the first time! It was freezing but I walked down the stairs behind camp to Seal Cove beach and jumped in...it was great.
My backyard

Wednesday I drove to Bangor and dropped off a staff member leaving and picked up someone else. Basically a long day of driving...which wasn't so bad because I had good company.

Thursday....I had the morning off and then taught a lesson and Friday it was raining OF COURSE and I went to the Indiana Jones hike with the kids staying the next week. It literally has rained every single Friday except for one. And its the one day that we need to be outside almost all day. SO FUN! And I saw awesome things such as luna moths and mushrooms.

This weekend we went on a night hike and I learned to use my night vision! So cool! So here's how. Sit in the darkness at night. Cover your right eye with your hand so no light can get in and leave your left eye open while looking towards a light or flashlight for about 3 minutes...you don't have to stare directly into it but just expose your eye to a bit of light while the other one is in complete darkness. After about 3 minutes, turn the light off so it's completely dark and open both eyes, moving your hand from your left to right eye. You will see that your right eye has built up a chemical that allows it to see better at night (I forget what its called.) and its mind-blowing. Coolest part of my weekend. You should do it.

This week I am going on a whale watch tomorrow, then teaching lotsa lessons and shtuff. Second to last week! Crazy! I can't wait to have a few days with the staff and NO kids after next week....it'll be really great great great. Ok thats all for now. P.S. my mom's coming this week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment